Friday, September 5, 2014

Blackbean Salad


I'm on a temporary carb-fast. I'm avoiding bread, rice, pasta, grains of all kinds, and sugar. That means no processed foods, nothing with added sugar. I'm doing it to retrain my taste buds not to crave something sweet after every meal, and to cut down on the amounts of carbs that I have every day. I've never been a big carb eater in general but lately I've been having a sandwich for lunch more often than a salad and I knew that had to change. 

I made this salad today next to my roasted chicken dinner. I usually make rice, but today I had salad instead and not only was it delicious but also very satisfying!

Ingredients:
1 cup sweet corn, steamed from frozen organic corn
1 cup cooked black beans (you can also used canned, choose cans without bpa lining if possible)
1 cup chopped parsley
2 green onions with stems, finely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 English cucumber, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
1 lemon juiced
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

- Mix all ingredients and save in fridge until ready to eat. This salad gets tastier the longer it stays! Enjoy with some ripe avocado and a grilled protein of your choice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment